The Birdcage Archives

Monday 11 August 2014

Tomorrow Night, I shall Stroll No More

Hello Gentle Reader

Tonight Gentle Reader, I took a lovely stroll on the town. It turned out to be rather uneventful. But I had discovered a few things while out and about. First off, when walking, the first thing anyone fails to mention to you when discussing the benefits of walking is: that you have only yourself for company. Presuming you take a leisurely soul searching stroll, by yourself. Tonight while taking such a leisurely stroll, I discovered that my soul was nowhere to be found. Instead I was left with my own thoughts; which shared nothing profound. In fact these thoughts were mundane. There were no bewildering observations to be made. No other lonely stroller to see or spot. All there was was the full moon, which also was a super moon. However it failed to produce any stimulating conversation. My walk took me to a rink, and its hidden parking lot. There I discovered a second understanding. When partying in a parking lot, there are three ingredients that are needed. First off you need trucks. Trucks are loud. They are also obnoxious. They also like to go vroom, vroom with vigorous enjoyment. The second ingredient: alcohol. Alcohol makes everything more fun; more social, and loosens everyone up. The third: People. To share the company of another makes one understand that: though they are a singular individual in the world, the word individual can also pluralized, to include others. As it turned out, one cannot have a party in a parking lot by themselves, with no truck or alcohol, or friend to call on. For the party will not last more than thirty seconds; and will amount to you talking to yourself – and realize you are no better at conversations with yourself out loud than you are in your head. This led me to abandon the parking lot, and its dewy eyed concrete filled with sleep. I turned my sights to the cemetery. My peeps their share, a similar enthusiastic view on life; matched only by my own. In an unfortunate turn of events, they had turned in for the night, and had locked their gate. After a stroll through the neighborhood, and the disappointment at finding only the blue light of televisions reflected in the windows; I turned my sights home. The absence of people became unnervingly alienating. This Robert Walseresque walk, had so far produced nothing of interest. Walking down First Avenue I decided to entertain myself by blowing raspberries. That is until I came across a gazebo. I stopped in and had cigarette. I watched moths flutter about the warmth of the light, at the top of the gazebo. I realized then that even though I had two feet and a heart beat; my feet had become wary; my heart beat, beat as normal and my mind had succumbed to boredom. I called someone for a ride. I came to accept the monotony of my life. Yet smile at my attempt to do something interesting; to defeat the mundane ennui of my existence. I enjoyed my walk to a degree. It passed two hours. It has made me tired. It also had its health benefits. And yet Gentle Reader, tomorrow night, I shall stroll no more.

Thank-you For Reading Gentle Reader
Take Care
And As Always
Stay Well Read
*And Remember: Downloading Books Illegally is Thievery and Wrong.*

M. Mary

P.S. I write this as a play on Mu Xin’s story “Tomorrow, I’ll Stroll No More.” The short story collection by Xin, has turned out to be delightful. I write this as a precursor to the review that will appear shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment