The Birdcage Archives

Thursday 10 October 2019

The Nobel Prize for Literature 2018 & 2019


Hello Gentle Reader

Olga Tokarczuk, has been awarded the retroactive Nobel Prize for Literature for 2018 with the following citation:  

“For a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life

_________________________________________________________________________________

Peter Handke, has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for 2019 with the following citation:

“For an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience.”


Congratulations to both writers!

 Thank-you For Reading Gentle Reader
Take Care
And As Always
Stay Well Read

M. Mary




P.S. A special shout out to Stewart who administrates the World Literature Forum, who got the forum back up and running for the big day! Stewart you’re a beaut and a doll, darling! I hope the members of the World Literature Forum, have a healthy day of discussion of these two fine and interesting laureates.


To you my Dear Gentle Reader, my Post-Nobel thoughts will be published in the coming days. For now, I will say this year has turned out to be wonderfully delightful and exciting!

2 comments:

  1. So happy with the awards, my Handke won :D
    Happy with Tokarczuk winning as well, tho she was more expected to get the prize. Just thought they'd wait for a while to give it to her, what with her already being on the spotlight for her booker win, but it came in good time, regardless. Apparently her huge thousand-page novel was quite decisive. Eagerly awaiting it to be published, it seems it's only coming in 2021 tho.
    Anyway, I was thrilled the academy seemed to have shown once and for all what matters to this prize is the greatness of its laureate's Literature.

    Now I'm looking forward to your post-nobel thoughts as well. It's been a delight following your posts and engaging in conversation with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gabriel!

      How nice to hear from you again!

      You are right, and I am sure you are ecstatic with the news that Peter Handke has won the award; and you should be!

      Admittedly, I am surprised by bother winners; but am elated all the same. I thought in the same fashion as you Gabriel, that the Nobel Committee (Swedish Academy) would want to hold off on Olga Tokarczuk, after her breakthrough with the Booker International Prize; but even still, its well deserved.

      I am also surprised and equally as happy for Peter Handke. He'll make a unique and interesting decision. I am curious to continue to watch the reactions as they are happening now.

      For the return of the Nobel Prize for Literature, I'd say this has been a decent years award. The Swedish Academy and the blended Nobel Committee, have managed a delicate transition exceptionally well.

      I'll have those published in the coming days. These two Laureates have provided a wealth to write about and discuss!

      Its been a pleasure Gabriel Cezar, though I hope I chat with you more often then just Nobel Season! Its such as rarity to have such wonderful conversations like this, with people who actually care about these matters. Its a breath of fresh air, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

      M. Mary

      Delete